2012 is more than half way over and before we know it New Years will be upon us. Take a look at the essential video game statistics from the first half of 2012, courtesy of the Entertainment Software Association (ESA).
“ Computer and video games have reached a critical mass. Today, nearly every device with a screen plays games, providing interactive entertainment experiences for a wide and diverse population. The creativity of our developers and publishers produces an ever-expanding variety of games to choose from in different formats and across all platforms. Their innovations drive consumer demand for our products, solidifying our industry’s position as one of the strongest and most cutting-edge sectors in the U.S. economy.
— Michael D. Gallagher, President and CEO, Entertainment Software Association
Who is Playing – Game Demographics
- The average U.S. household owns at least one dedicated game console, pc or smartphone.
- 49% of U.S. households own a dedicated game console, and those that do own an average of 2.
- The average gamer age is 30.
- 53% of game players are male and 47% are female.
- Women 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30%) than boys age 17 or younger (18%).
- The average age of the most frequent video game purchaser is 35.
- Of the most frequent game purchasers, 52% are male and 48% are female.
- 42% of game players believe that computer and video games give them the most value for their money, compared with DVDs, music or going out to the movies.
- 46% of gamers have purchased or plan to purchase one or more games in 2012.
- Some of the top reasons gamers say they purchase a computer or video game: quality of game graphics, an interesting storyline, a sequel to a favorite game, word of mouth.
How We Play
- 15% of most frequent game players pay to play online games.
- Types of Online Games Played Most Often:Gamers play on-the-go: 33% play games on their smartphones, and 25% play games on their handheld device.
- 42% – Puzzle, Board Game, Game Show, Trivia, Card Games.
- 25% – Action, Sports, Strategy, Role-Playing.
- 13% – Downloadable Games.
- 11% – Persistent Multi-Player Universe.
- 9% – Other.
- Types of Mobile Games Played Most Often:
- 47% – Puzzle, Board Game, Game Show, Trivia, Card Games.
- 27% – Downloadable Games.
- 14% – Other.
- 12% – Action, Sports, Strategy, Role-Playing.
- 4% – Persistent Multi-Player Universe.
- Gamers who are playing more video games than they did three years ago are spending less time:
- 59% – Playing board games.
- 50% – Going to the movies.
- 47% – Watching TV.
- 47% – Watching movies at home.
- Gamers who own dedicated game consoles use them for other entertainment media, in addition to playing games:62% of gamers play games with others, either in-person or online.
- 40% – Use their console to watch movies.
- 20% – Use their console to listen to music.
- 17% – Use their console to watch TV shows.
- 78% of gamers who play with others do so at least one hour per week.
- 33% of gamers play social games.
- A majority of gamers play games with their friends and family members:12 is the average number of years gamers have been playing video games.
- 16% play with parents.
- 34% play with other family members.
- 40% play with friends.
- 17% play with their spouse or significant others.
- Adult gamers have been playing for an average of 14 years; males average 16 years of game play, females average 12 years.
Charts and Graphs
Do any of the statistics shock or surprise you?