As gamers, many of us appreciate gun-toting heroes and action-packed explosions. Video games allow us to step into the shoes of alien bounty hunters, NBA all-stars, elite mercenaries, and the most iconic perhaps, an Italian plumber. We share a common bond as fans of interactive entertainment. Many of our hobbies extend beyond the button mashing and into a fascination with a culture that is unique to the gaming community. Gamers share many commonalities and here are just a few ways to tell if someone is truly a video game aficionado.
You know you’re a dedicated gamer when you…
1. Have a list on your desk with all the new game releases scheduled for the next few months or even next year.
Gotta start saving early right?
2. Ask your girlfriend/boyfriend for a video game on your anniversary.
I don’t know about you, but I’d take a game over flowers any day.
3. Hang on to video game classics even though you must have beaten them a million times.
In my room, my N64 is sitting right next to my Xbox 360. There’s no way I’m giving that away, how would I replay Ocarina of Time for the 8th time? (Well now I have a 3DS but still!)
4. Force your skeptical friends to play your favorite games saying, “Dude just play the first level.”
I made my friend play the first level of Dead Space. He had nightmares the next day. That’s what I call friendship.
5. Need your own console/pc.
Hardcore gamers don’t like to share, unless of course they’re broke.
6. Call your friends by their gamertags or PSN IDS when NOT playing.
I don’t know if I’d be okay with people calling me TaY_S0_FRESH but you never know it might catch on.
7. Have your own custom controller.
Mine is bright pink, top that.
8. Know all the gaming abbreviations.
From FPS to MMORPG, no one can say gamers can’t spell.
9. Only use an arcade stick for classic fighters.
Streetfighter with a controller? Bah, my iron fingers need no such thing.
10. Recognize weapons in real life from video games.
Is it me or do you feel like you’re getting a military education from modern shooters?
11. Use Gamefly
For movie buffs there’s Netflix, for us, there’s Gamefly.
12. Rock a video game tattoo, T-shirt, or car sticker.
I don’t know how many halo bumper stickers I’ve seen in the past few years. All I know is that I want one.
13. You’re reading this list right now!
If you can relate to a few of the points on this list, then you must be a gamer on some level. I’m a hardcore gamer and I’m proud of it!
Editor’s Note: This article is for entertainment purposes, not to be taken with extreme seriousness. We all gauge our “nerdhood” differently, here are just a few examples that I’ve come across.